Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shoes

 I finished this painting of my Grandma's shoes today.  This will probably be the last of paintings relating to her for awhile since I have to switch gears in order to prepare for the next Dot to Dot show in March!  The floral pattern is based on my dining room rug, which I love, and the bottom pattern is influenced by the tile surrounding a fountain at the Garfield Park Conservatory. 

Grandma loved shoes.  When she was a child she squeezed her new world feet into old world hand-me-downs, and when her children began walking, she polished their scuff marks away.  When I knew her she always resisted breaking in a new pair preferring the comfort of the worn ones; however, she'd greatly admire the newly shod feet of myself or my children.  I love that her shoes have molded and encased her feet slip casting them--fossilizing them forever. 


1 comment: