Sunday, May 27, 2012

Bottle Tree

Scratch Art I made at Nido


 At Nido Art Studio in Aurora my bottles took on a new life hanging from a tree.  They swayed in the breeze and soaked up the creative energy of that place.  Intrigued by the origin of this bottle hanging tradition, I learned that its roots are in an African custom of capturing malevolent spirits at night which would then be destroyed by the gleaming rays of daylight.

While my opaque, soft sculpture bottles are in sharp contrast to glistening, transparent glass bottles, I think they still possess a magical quality.  Perhaps they're unable to trap evil, but they can generate delight. 
Hanging Bottles from Tree at Nido
Detail of Bottle




Bottle Tree Occupant--She was not happy with my presence.

Bottles Hanging at Home

For More info: http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2010/10/bottle-tree.html

No comments:

Post a Comment