Sunday, April 13, 2014
After completing the house quilt last fall, my in-laws commissioned a quilt for their guest bed that would also have hand printed fabric. Since my Father-in-law is a gardener, I immediately thought of designing some botanicals. I also had a whole scheme for referencing lattice fences and using lots of greens. I even bought the fabric for it. After designing and carving the blocks, life interrupted and pulled me away from the project. I continued to think about the quilt, and when I returned to it, I felt that my initial plan was pretty much wrong. I was inspired by rich, jewel tones instead of muted greens, and I needed to do something about the structure. I knew I wanted triangles, and during a routine cleaning at the dentist, I found myself staring at the fluorescent light above. I noticed that the light was being refracted through a pattern of varying sized triangles not unlike one of those bug eyed kaleidoscopes. Well, the printing, heat-setting, piecing, pinning, and ironing has been quite a process. Despite having made a dozen quilts or so, I grossly underestimated the time required for this project, but I am certain it was worth it. In the end, it is too big to photograph--my close line isn't up yet. So, excuse the many photos striving to capture its massive dimensions.