Friday, April 6, 2012

Egg-celent Day











 I love the tradition of dying Easter eggs, and this is the first time I've had the opportunity in years.  When I was little all of my siblings and cousins would gather at my Grandparents' house.  I just learned today that my Grandma would spread bacon grease on her eggs to make them shine.  My other Grandma, who oversaw the egg production, told me that her parents used boiled onion skins to color her eggs.

Though I'd love to try natural dyes, I am brightened by cups brimming with color, the odor of vinegar, and the bold reward of patient egg tending---deep, vibrant colors.  Nine grandchildren creatively colored nine dozen, hard boiled eggs this sunny afternoon in my parents' garage.  Egg-sperimentation with techniques:  crayon resits, tie-dye, and double dipping, lead to a variety of results.  The eggs above were created by my kids and nieces and nephews.  My niece Olivia drew the lippy face, a personal favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment