Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Asha Painting and Gratitude

 So, I've been tallying a list of projects for people I love, and it seems now is a good time to start tackling them.  I always enjoy making things as gifts, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there is a small part of me that wonders if the gift is actually a burden on the receiver.  Years and years ago I read I Love To You by philosopher, Luce Irigaray.  She argued that when we say "I love you" to our beloved we aren't giving them space to accept our love or reject it.  Instead we hit them on the head with our love hammers pounding them like a nail.  As an alternative, Irigaray suggested that we say "I love to you" which expresses our love for someone, but the "to" creates space for the beloved to accept or reject the love.  I hope my creations don't feel like impositions or burdensome in any way.  If there is little enthusiasm I understand that their rightful place is in a closet or as a re-gift.

 I painted Asha for my brother and sister-in-law who live in South Africa who are proud owners of an African mutt, Asha.  Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Asha, I am enthralled by her eyes which to me communicate a gentle, loving, yet wild demeanor.  It felt logical to paint the background in African motifs.  So, I'm hoping to makes some copies and perhaps experiment with cropping it in different ways.



2 comments:

  1. Totally and utterly wow! You captured her sweet soul. How can we get a copy???? We showed it to her on the computer screen - I think she's going to have to sniff it to really appreciate the full essence.

    You are totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to put a small package together and either get it to Rich in Boston or send it via carrier for the Parisian rendezvous. What works best for you? I can give precise dimensions for reserving suitcase space etc.

    ReplyDelete