Monday, July 15, 2013

Final Coat

Products for sealing an  outdoor mural


Milky quality
From a distance
Having excessively researched the proper way to seal an outdoor mural painted with acrylic paint on a primed concrete surface, I'm a little disappointed that the surface milked up a bit (see above photo).  I applied a protective barrier made of two parts Golden Soft Gel (Gloss) to one part water.  I started at the top and worked my way down.  The top is fine, but the bottom, I think was warmer and caused the gloss to dry too quickly or in a way that made it dry opaque rather than clear.   After two days, I sprayed on a coat  of Liquitex Soluvar Gloss Varnish, and one day later, I applied a coat of Liquitex Soluvar Matte Varnish.  The varnishes are indetectable by my sight, but I can feel their presence when I touch the wall.  I certainly inhaled a bit of it.  This was the last step in preserving my mural.  I will continue to track the progress.  Hopefully it will continue to look good.  I'll miss that little patch of concrete and the well-wishers that surrounded me there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment